Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Is he sifting you? #246


Luke 22:31-34  31 “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; 32 but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” 33 But he said to Him, “Lord, with You I am ready to go both to prison and to death!” 34 And He said, “I say to you, Peter, the rooster will not crow today until you have denied three times that you know Me.” (NAS)
Failure for most people comes as a result of pride. Peter was no exception. He bragged to Jesus that he would be willing to go to prison or be martyred before he would ever turn his back on Jesus. He saw himself as a loyal, faithful, and strong follower of Jesus. In the deepest part of his heart he was sure he would never fail. You are very aware that failure is a part of everyone’s life. At some place, sometime, some situation there is failure lurking in the darkness to pounce on you like an animal on its prey.
Your pride is the beginning of your failure; and yet something else is in the background also. “Satan has demanded to sift you like wheat” is the word of Jesus to Peter. Satan is the author of failure. For some reason Jesus allowed the request of Satan and Peter was indeed tempted and fell into failure by denying three times he even knew Jesus. In Peter’s most vivid imagination he could not conceive that he would ever fail Jesus. He was the faithful follower ready to die for his leader.
Have you ever failed? Have you ever considered you were the blunt end of Satan’s attack? Have you thought that your own pride was the open door for failure? Surely you and everyone else struggles with temptation. The desire for success will often lead you to an inflated concept of your ability to overcome whatever comes your way. No amount of determination will overcome the temptations you face to try to handle the ups and downs of life. Only God can provide you that strength.
Jesus had a word of encouragement for Peter. “I have prayed for you.” What a privilege and hope to know that Jesus is praying for you. His prayer is that Peter’s faith would not fail; even in the face of failure. He also promised that, “Once you have turned” back to God you still have a place in the work of the Kingdom to strengthen your fellow believers. 
_________________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

It was in April of 1963 that I answered the call of God to enter the ministry. At that time that call meant I would be a missionary or a pastor. God led me to the pastorate. This is now fifty years of preaching and teaching God's word. I spent 44 years of that as a pastor of a local church. These past few years I have been preaching wherever the Lord opens the doors of opportunity. I have reflected on the sense of call I received fifty years ago and know that had it not been a clear sense that God was calling me I would have quit long ago. I thank God for the rich fulfilling life He has given me. God is good. 

Arizona is a great place for people in the cold country to come to warm up during the  winter and early spring. We have had several people visit us this spring. The Kuckkahn's from Wisconsin and the Nunn's from Nebraska. The Muelfelts from Wisconsin will be here this week. We met up with former church members on Sunday. We had lunch with the Ginn's; who were at Church on Mill. We met at Starbucks for coffee with the Marolf's from Southview Baptist Church in Nebraska. They currently live in Phoenix. What a joy to reflect on past memories.

This winter in AZ has been windy. So what do you do? FLY A KITE. Mandy and Johnny had fun during one of those windy days. 

Sandy continues to watch the grandsons a couple of days a week. We so enjoy them. Burke and Collin spent the night on Friday night. Bennett has been in a musical this past week. Sandy and I are going on Friday. We have heard he is great. Of course that was his Dad's opinion. I am sure mine will be the same. 

The latest surgical procedure of placing a stent in my bile duct seems to be working great. I have received the rest of my lab tests this week. The markers for the cancer have increased which means the cancer is growing. I am just grateful that I feel good. 

Please continue to pray for my strength, which is increasing thank God, to allow me to return to a preaching schedule. Also might also pray for the door of opportunity to open for me to preach. 

God bless all of you. I am praying today that you will find friends who will encourage you and lift you up.   ~ DGW                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment