Tuesday, April 9, 2013

You Can't Buy Grace #244


Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit… 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit. 18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, 19 saying, “Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” 20 But Peter said to him, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money!
It is so easy to fall prey to the lie of Satan that somehow you can earn, or buy God’s grace. Simon, the Sorcerer, observed John and Peter as they laid hands on the believers in Samaria. He had been the man of magic that had mystified Samaria with his abilities at magic to the point he was called, “The Great Power of God.” He now desires the gift of God to lay hands on someone who would then receive the Holy Spirit. He missed the truth that only by God’s grace is His work accomplished. Somehow he believed he could pay money to perform God’s works.
Peter rebuked him and declared that Simon would perish because he thought he could buy God’s gifts and favor. BEWARE: It is easy to forget that all you are or all you do in God’s work is accomplished through grace. It is not you it is God. He will share His glory with no one. Whether it be good works, hard work, money, personal power, or influence you cannot receive God’s gifts through your efforts. God gives His gifts to whomever He wishes. No purchasing power exists to diminish the grace of God.
How often are you deluded as Simon was into believing that he somehow could pay the right amount, accomplish the right stuff and somehow be endowed with God’s power. God’s miracles are brought about by God Himself and not by your effort or money. The next time you are tempted to ignore the grace of God in order to accomplish God’s work remind yourself of Simon, the Sorcerer. Peter was prophetic with his words, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money.”    

________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

My words are inadequate to describe my gratitude for your prayers and concern during these last 8 weeks. I have been in and out of the hospital 5 times since 
February 6th. Currently I am home and trying to regain strength. Your emails, cards, phone calls have been such an encouragement to me and Sandy. We are truly blessed to have friends like all of you. 

I do have a prayer request. I am so missing the preaching ministry. God will open doors for me to return to preaching, but right now the strength still eludes me. Pray for the renewal of my physical body so that I can return to the calling of God in my life; to preach His Word. Hopefully it will not be long until I can return to the preaching ministry. 

Thursday April 11th is Sandy's birthday. She looks a lot younger than I, but we are actually the same age again. She is such a blessing to me. The last few years have been hard for her, but she keeps going. I thank God for her.

My whole family is very special to me. My grandsons are a real motivation to keep on and not give up. See pic of Justin and Johnny. I retrieved one of my baby pictures that was taken when I was Justin's age. (4 months) Finally I have a grandson that looks like me. Bless his heart.

Laying around for the past few weeks has given me much time to pray. I have brought your name before our Heavenly Father. There is such power in prayer, because of the recipient of our prayers. God does love us and cares for our every need. God is good. 

I pray He will bless you this week with a renewed commitment to be prayer warriors. Matthew 7:7 “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money.”                                                                                            

Love and Appreciate you all.  ~ DGW


                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment