Friday, April 5, 2013

Pray Anyway #243


Acts 12:4-5 4When he had seized him, he put him in prison, delivering him to four squads of soldiers to guard him, intending after the Passover to bring him out before the people. 5 So Peter was kept in the prison, but prayer for him was being made fervently by the church to God.
A pastor had a plaque on the wall behind his desk that read: “PRAYER CHANGES THINGS.’’ Daily he would start by reading the plaque and reminding himself that God does change things through prayer.
The Apostle Peter never endeared himself the religious people of his day. He more often irritated them. He had publicly accused them of crucifying Jesus. It was likewise normal for him to end up in jail. On one particular occasion the church met in the home of Mary to pray fervently for Peter. While they were praying an angel released Peter from jail and Peter went to Mary’s home and was pounding on the door. A maid named Rhoda went to the door and was shocked to see Peter. She returned to the ‘praying church’ that declared it could not be Peter because he was in jail.
Does it seem strange to you that they were praying fervently for Peter and their prayers were answered but they couldn’t believe it.
Acts 12:15 They said to her, “You are out of your mind!” But she kept insisting that it was so. They kept saying, “It is his angel.” 16 But Peter continued knocking; and when they had opened the door, they saw him and were amazed.  
God does answer prayer, sometimes even when you lack the faith to believe He will. God responds to the corporate prayer of His church. The desperate need of the church today is to return to being God’s prayer warriors. There is a need to pray even though the people of God may doubt that God will answer. Peter’s life is one of ups and downs, but it is also a reminder of the Great God who answers the prayers of His people. 
___________________Today's personal note from Dennis
Greetings from my home in beautiful Tempe, AZ

Some of you may have noticed last weeks "The Encourager" did not arrive in your email box. After the procedure to place a stent in my liver I developed a severe infection that caused my fever to spike to 103.8. I spent the week in the hospital receiving IV antibiotics. Fever causes chills and the hospital is a cold place.  I was released Sunday afternoon. So glad to be home. I still have some issues I am dealing with. Appreciate so much your prayers. 

Before I went in the hospital Sandy and I took Bennett, Burke and Collin to play mini-golf. Of course I won. We had a great time. Ended up at Culvers for frozen custard. 

Johnny is up to his usual fun times as you can see from the pic. Justin continues to grow. Sandy and I are so happy being grandparents. They are great. 

I believe God is again going to bring about a real miracle of healing for me. He has been so faithful in the past and as many of you have said, "He is not through with you yet." 

I pray that God will bless you with an encouraging word from a friend.

Thanks for your prayers during this time of recuperation.
I love you all.  ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment