Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Strategy For WInning #247


Galatians 5:16-24                                                                                             16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.                                     
Do you like to win? Whether it is a pick-up basketball game, a board game, a race, or a friendly game of poker most people like to win. Someone has said that the real issue is not that they like to win; they just hate losing. In your walk with God it is easy to lose and not win. The Bible gives us insight to winning. In some ways it is a strategy for spiritual life. It is simply “walk in the Spirit.” That is winning. The opposite, “walking in the flesh” is losing. They are on opposite ends of life. One is pure self-effort, living for and in the flesh, while the other is a surrender of your life to the Spirit of God.
The flesh is loosing because the life in the flesh ends in failure, deception, and in the end brings destruction. The Bible lists these deeds of the flesh: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy and on and on. All these deeds lead to death to spiritual well being. On the other side is the spiritual life that leads to really winning. It is called the fruit of the Spirit. It is a life of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. That is real life.
The strategy for winning is simply to walk in the Spirit, accomplished by belonging to Jesus and crucifying the flesh. Surely you want to win. It may sound strange, but you win by surrendering your life to Jesus. 


__________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

Wow!! It sure feels good to feel good. After nearly three months I am feeling really good. I thank God for allowing me to emerge from this last liver issue enjoying a good quality of life. Thanks for your prayers. 

I asked a friend who had just completed a rather important ministry, "What are your plans now?" His reply was, "Just waiting for God to give me my next assignment." That is what I am doing right now. I am waiting for the next assignment that God has for me. At this point (for those of you who know me well) I am not real patient. I keep asking God to show me, but nothing seems to be happening. Many of you have been kind enough to tell me how "The Encourager" is a ministry to you, and for that I thank you. I guess after preaching for fifty years I am eager to get back into the pulpit. I would appreciate your prayers in this area. 

Sandy and I had the privilege of attending a musical performance at the high school where our oldest grandson Bennett attends. Taking after his Dad he had a lead role. We were so thrilled to hear him sing and see him act. He is a chip off the old block. The picture is of him on stage. He is in the foreground.

I was reminded this week that faith is not figuring everything out, nor is it a feeling. "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1) You don't need figuring or feelings when you have faith. Faith is in God not your ability to muster up a feeling or try to figure things out. Trust Him!!

I pray that you have a great week. May God bless you with opportunities to share His love with those who need it most. ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment