Monday, May 28, 2012

A New Name #200

John 1:42
And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas" (which, when translated, is Peter). (NIV)

Genesis 32:28 
He said, "Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed." (NAS)

Acts 13:9 
"Then Saul, who was also called Paul..." (NIV)

Acts 4:36
Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means son of encouragement)" (NIV)

1 Corinthians 1:2 "To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours; (NAS)

Of all the name changes the one that encourages believers the most is this verse in
1 Corinthians 1:2. Before the ultimate change that God brought into your life you could be described by the name 'sinner'. Now in Christ you are a new person. As others in Christ you have a new nature and a new name. You are sanctified, set apart and made holy. You are a saint, a holy one, by calling. What an awesome thought. Someone who was condemned by sin now has a new name. You are a new creation; created by God with a new life and a new name.

Throughout history people have changed their names. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu became known as Mother Teresa. Martha Burk became known as Calamity Jane. John Chapman become known as Johnny Appleseed. Their new names reflected their character and persona.

Your new name, Saint, describes what Jesus has done for you. You are no longer sinner but saint. Your character and persona come from your relationship with Him. You are in Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" (NIV)

________________Today's personal note from Dennis


Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ


This is a milestone for The Encourager. This is number 200. Taking out the three months that I was hospitalized and in serious health and it has been over four years since the first Encourager hit the email. It has been such a joy for me to write each week with the hope of encouraging each and every one of you. I desire that somehow The Encourager will aid you in your walk with God, family, friends and church. I pray that you will grow spiritually as God gives you insight ion His Word. Thanks for your responses and the encouragement you send right back to me. God bless you for your patience, love, concern, prayers and hope. I pray you will be blessed beyond "all you ask or think".


Thank you for your prayers for my preparation for preaching June 7 and 24. I will be at First Baptist in Tempe for all three morning services. The Lord has not only allowed me to have a great time of preparation, but has blessed me as I have studied and prayed. I am also currently reading another Steve McVey's book on grace. This one is called Grace Rules. What a refreshing book. Continue to pray for preparation for the rest of this summer. My schedule will follow later.


Sandy and I are so excited about our four grandsons. this past week Bennett had a choir concert. It was well done and of course bennett did great. Burke was elected to the student council for next year. I am proud of him. I teased him about entering politics. Collin and a friend of his are going camping this week with Sandy and me. It will be nice to enjoy Arizona's mountains. Johnny is growing and doing very well. He can run as fast as I can walk. It is fun for Grammie to keep up with him.


Keep praying for my upcoming CT Scans and X-rays and Labs. I am feeling really good and expect them to show no change. I also need prayer for the change of oncologists. Pray for just the right doctor. I am believing God will supply my need.


May God bless you and provide "all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus". Philippians 4:19. You are special. 








No comments:

Post a Comment