Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Are You Shaken? #197

Psalms 55:22
Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.


Something have you all shook up? What is it? Are you carrying a burden of some kind? Is it something out of your immediate control, but still is affecting you greatly. You might describe it as a burden you bare.


You likely have tried to pick up something to heavy for you to carry. You may have even attempted to pick up something you could not even budge? The Psalmist portrays a righteous person carrying a burden too burdensome to bare.


He reminds you that God is able to lift your load, receive it, and carry your burden for you. It is essential that you do something first. You have to cast the burden off of yourself. That is not always easy. You may choose to worry about it, try to solve it on your own, or sink into despair and grief.


You may think you can handle things. But remember this particular burden is too great for you to carry. God's desire is for the righteous, His children, to never be shaken. You will be shaken unless you learn to cast all your burdens on the Lord. The promise of never being shaken is yours. What are you carrying right now that has you “shook”? Give it up! Let Jesus have your load.


Remember the words of the Bible, I Peter 5:7 “Give all your worries and cares to God because He cares about you.” (NLT)


You have a choice. You can spend your emotional and physical energy worrying about your burden or you can give it to God. You may say, “How can I do that?”


First, it is a prayer to God. “God take my burden, I no longer can handle the burden.” Then throughout the day and maybe the night continue to pray when the burden comes through your mind. There is a battle going on for your thought life. Fill it with prayer and not with worry. Try praising God for all the blessings you have had throughout your life. He has been good to you. 


This burden is real but does not need to control you or your thoughts. Talk to yourself. “Bless the Lord oh my soul. (Psalm 103:1) The Psalmist, David, found that he needed to remind himself that praise makes a difference.


____________Today's personal note from Dennis


Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

The week in Missouri with family, friends, and a great revival at Second Baptist Church of Lebanon ended with joy and excitement. I was so blessed by the people at SBC with their hospitality and friendliness. They also are great listeners. As a pastor I have always enjoyed preaching to people who pay attention. Roger and his wife, Dee Ann, were doing well. We had some good times talking about old times and mutual friends. We also talked of our own families and how blessed we are. 

I came home to my wonderful wife and family. I had missed a band concert that Collin had on Wednesday night. It was in video form for me to hear. Modern 
electronics are wonderful. Saturday I took Collin to his soccer game. His team won 8 to 2. He was a bit excited. 

Sandy leaves for Missouri on Thursday May 10th to attend her nephew's
graduation. Casey will graduate from the University of Arkansas on Saturday. Sandy will have time to spend with her family in MO. She is looking forward to the special time. 

I will be preaching at First Baptist Church of Tempe on May 20th at 8:00, 9:30, and 11:00. Pray for me and the message from God's word I will be preaching. Pastor Roger Ball will be leaving for a three month sabbatical in June. He has asked that I preach on several occasions this summer. I am grateful for his leadership and for allowing me this privilege. 

God is good and has so blessed all of us. The devotional this week reminds us all that God is able to take our burdens. Take time to read it, please. 

Many of you dropped me an email last week. Thanks so much. I enjoy hearing what God is doing in your life. Let me hear from you.

Recently, I have been spending more time just praising God for who He is, what He has done, and what He is doing. Take a few minutes and just praise the Lord for His blessings. His Holy Spirit provides us with joy as a fruit of the Spirit. Nehemiah discovered that "The joy of the Lord is my strength." Nehemiah 8:10.

God bless you and all you are and do. May today be a special day of praise and the casting away of burdens.  ~ DGW


No comments:

Post a Comment