Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"If Only" #201

Joshua 7:7 Joshua said, "Alas, O Lord GOD, why did You ever bring this people over the Jordan, only to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? If only we had been willing to dwell beyond the Jordan!"


"If only we had been willing." these were words of defeat, discouragement, and failure. The "if" means Joshua believed that their attempt at conquering the promised land seemed doomed.


They had experienced great victory over the formidable foe of Jericho only to be defeated by the small and insignificant city of Ai. Their problem was not that God was delivering them into the hands of the enemy, but that they had sin in the camp. They had attempted to pursue Ai without god's directive. Then a man named Achan had stolen some of the articles banned by God and taken them back and buried them under his tent.


Joshua's courage and faith staggered as the defeat of Ai became reality. Instead of looking forward in faith he looked back in defeat. You can never look back with an "if only" and expect to walk in faith and victory. You are a conqueror through Christ.


Temporary setbacks and defeat are not a reason for retreat to the old life. You are truly new creations in Christ with an upward call to be like Jesus. Do not allow a defeat to send you the the place saying, "if I had only been willing to settle for something other than God's best." The children of Israel were defeated at Ai, but that was not an excuse to make the choice of not moving forward in faith.


Once Israel faced their sin they were ready to move forward in conquering the Promised Land. Paul wrote to the Roman church about their victory in Christ.


Romans 8:37 "in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us."


You need not look back and live in defeat, discouragement, and failure. You can live in victory through Christ. Don't catch yourself saying, "if only I had been willing."


________________Today's personal note from Dennis


Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

Sandy and I had a wonderful week with Collin and his friend, Tristan, at Woods Canyon Lake. The Arizona mountains are very beautiful but also very dry. The need for rain is so evident. Many trees are dying and the bark beetles can be heard all the time. We caught some fish and lots of crawdads. We are so grateful for the time. I found it is hard tying fishing line with a net over your head, or maybe just two mischievous boys nearby. (See Pic) Johnny discovered the candy store this week. 

This week we head to Louisiana to visit our friends, Don and Tommie Tuttleton. We will likely see many others. We spent two years at the First Baptist Church in Denham Springs during the early 80's. This trip we plan on spending some time in Grand Isle, LA doing some bird watching and fishing and of course just in great fellowship. 

I will be preaching at First Baptist Church of Tempe on Father's Day the 17th. It will again be all three morning services: 8, 9:30 and 11:00. Please pray again for strength and for God's word to make an impact on the lives of God's people. Sandy is preparing for the fall Bible Studies for the women at FBC. Pray for her preparation. 

I mentioned last week I was reading Grace Rules by Steve McVey. I also read his book, Grace Walk, again this week. I also pulled off my shelf the books on grace I have read in the past. Eugene Peterson wrote Traveling Light several years ago. It is a great study on Galatians. Bob George wrote several books.

I am rereading his book, Growing in Grace. Chuck Swindol wrote a wonderful book, The Grace Awakening. Neil Anderson wrote a book entitled, Breaking the Bondage of Legalism. I have been so blessed as I am reminded of God's truly amazing grace. I am reminded again that His grace is sufficient for everything and that we live by grace and not by law. 

Thanks for your prayers for our health. Sandy saw her Rheumatologist last week. She has lupus. The doctor told her that if he was only going by lab work and other tests he would say that she doesn't even have lupus. He is considering it in remission. We praise the Lord for that. 

I have CT scans coming up in a couple of weeks and will see the oncologist on the 25th. The lab work has already been done. I will know the results when I see the doctor. Continue to pray as I seek a new oncologist. This is the last time I will see the one I have had for the past six years. 

God bless you and your family. I weekly receive messages from many of you about the well-being of your family and friends. In many cases it is the lack of well-being that you share with me. I am so glad to pray for you. 

May God's grace remind you of His great love for you. ~  DGW 

No comments:

Post a Comment