Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What's Your Big Stone #221


Mark 16:1-4 1 Saturday evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome went out and purchased burial spices so they could anoint Jesus’ body. 2 Very early on Sunday morning, just at sunrise, they went to the tomb. 3 On the way they were asking each other, “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance to the tomb?” 4 But as they arrived, they looked up and saw that the stone, which was very large, had already been rolled aside.
The two Marys and Salome made their way to the tomb of Jesus early on Sunday morning. The plan was to anoint the body of Jesus for proper burial. They expressed to one another a worry or concern. “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance to the tomb?” They undoubtedly had observed the soldiers blocking the entrance to the tomb with an extremely large stone. Three women knew it was too large for them to move by themselves.
Have you ever felt discouraged because it seemed a BIG STONE was in the way of your accomplishing your goals. Worry is ineffective at moving stones. I heard someone say, “Worry must work because what I was worrying about never happened.” Strange explanation. The women approached the tomb with questions. They not only were concerned about how to remove the stone, but what they would find inside. They had watched Jesus as He was crucified. They were aware of the crown of thorns, the spear-pierced side, and the piercing caused by the nails.
Their goal was to prepare Jesus for the burial that was required by their faith and for the honor they desired to give to their departed leader. As they approached the tomb they observed the stone had already been rolled away. The worry of moving a stone was gone. God had rolled away the stone. Maybe it is time you began to realize that God will roll away your stone. He can move the obstacles to your life.
More than the stone which the angels rolled away was the miracle they found inside. Jesus was not there either. He had risen from the dead. He was alive. Worry and fretting mean nothing to a living Savior. You can have more than just a stone removed from your pathway. You can have life through Jesus’ death and resurrection. You need not worry about eternity. He arose to give you eternal life. 

_________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

Sandy and I had a marvelous weekend with the Grace Community Church camping crew. The fellowship was sweet. The scenery was beyond words. The food made for smiles and full stomachs. The Roosevelt Lake was really low. The ranger told us it is just at 40% full. All the pictures this week are from the area. The picture of me with the cactus is taken from our campsite. It was nice to get up in the morning to a sight like that. Sandy and I hiked to the Salado Indian ruins. It was a major hike but worth the trip. The picture of me and Sandy and of Sandy by herself was taken on the trail. 

Several International students from ASU were along. I so enjoy meeting people from around the world. The picture of Sandy and me with them shows the fun we all had. Grace Community Church has a ministry with the Internationals. One of the couples at GCC work with ISI (International Students Inc). They do a great job of sharing the gospel with the students on campus as well as some who have recently graduated. 

I will be teaching the SALT class on Sunday morning at FBC Tempe. The class is an evangelism training class. I am looking forward to sharing with them how to share their faith. I will then be preaching Sunday night in the 6PM service at FBC Tempe. It will be a great day. My next speaking engagement will be in Quartzsite in January. 

This week one of our senior adult friends passed away. Ruth Strong was 93 years old in September. Sandy and I have known both her and her husband, Marion since we were in Nebraska. They were members of Southview Baptist Church in Lincoln beginning in 1976. They have been like second grandparents to our kids for all these 36 years. I will be preaching her memorial service on November 1st. Please pray for me. It will be a difficult service for me. I know myself well enough to know that it will be hard not to weep as I share in her service. 

Mandy continues to do well. I so appreciate your prayers and concern for her and the baby, and for John also. She will be 28 weeks on Saturday. We are praying that she will make it to at least week 32 and would like to see her go full term. She is working, but with reduced hours. 

It is at this time of year that we know why live in beautiful Arizona. The weather is ideal. The early mornings, my time of day, is perfect at about 65 degrees. It makes it easy for me to sit outside at Starbucks and enjoy my coffee. Come join me.

God continues to bless us with His amazing grace. I feel absolutely wonderful. I will be honest, three weeks ago I wasn't so sure what was going to happen. I do have lab work done at the end of the month and an 

MRI November 7th. I see the oncologist on November 12th. I will let you know about the results. Just keep praying. 

I do pray for you. I pray God will bless your life with His presence and His blessings. I pray your worries will be turned into joy as you allow God to be your strength. Remember God can roll back the stone. 

~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment