Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Real Life #219


Ephesians 5:18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,
The writer of Ephesians, the Apostle Paul, was very familiar with the Greek culture including their religious beliefs. In this verse he eludes to one of their gods named Bacchus or Dionysius. He was the god of wine, and revelry. Wikipedia describes him this way:
“He was so named because of the frenzy he induces. He is also the Liberator, whose wine, music and ecstatic dance frees his followers from self-conscious fear and care, and subverts the oppressive restraints of the powerful. Those who partake of his mysteries are possessed and empowered by the god himself.”  
The ancient Greeks did not understand the chemical results of intoxication, but they did know that when wine was ingested the person would act differently and talk differently. Their explanation was a god took over their lives. In this case the god of wine and revelry, Bacchus. Paul called this drunkenness dissipation or hypocrisy. It was not real life.
Paul’s answer to the Greeks was God the Holy Spirit. He also filled the believer. He also took control of the recipient by possessing and empowering the believer. He was the true liberator who truly set free, the one filled with the Holy Spirit, the Christian from self-conscious fear and care. He likewise was the “one who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.”
The Bible says we are not to be drunk with wine, or have anything to do with the false gods that try to duplicate life and freedom, but we are to be filled with God Himself. Be filled with the Holy Spirit. He is real life. It is the Holy Spirit that produces the fruit of the Spirit.
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
As you yield and submit your life to the Holy Spirit who lives within you God will fill you with His Spirit. By faith you respond to the word of Ephesians 5:18 to be filled with the Spirit. The result is a life that makes us walk and talk differently. It is not dissipation or hypocrisy, but real life. Why not ask God to fill you with His Spirit right now?


_________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

I do hope your week has been filled with joy and peace. Isn't God good to give us times when the trials and difficulties of life take a vacation and we are surrounded by the beauty of life. This has been a good week for me. My Dad is doing well. My little grandson decided to wait a while to be born. Mandy is doing well. Sandy and I attended a band concert that Collin participated in at his school. (see pic) It was great. Bennett turned 15. It seems just like last year when he was born. Time really passes quickly. We celebrated on Friday night with a great meal. The birthday cake was a grasshopper pie; Bennett's request. (see pic) 

Sunday I had the privilege of speaking to the Watchman's Sunday School class. The topic was "The Holy Spirit in the Life of the Believer." I only covered less than half of my notes. What a great topic. I believe most Christians are unaware of the fact that the Holy Spirit lives IN them. What an incredible thought, but what a more incredible experience. One of my burdens is that Christians understand the third person of the trinity and begin to live in God's victory through Him. I will be teaching one more week. It is such a joy for me to share God's word.

Sandy and I met at Southwest Baptist College (now University) on October 7, 1964. That was 48 years ago. I am so grateful to God for that wonderful day.She is still the love of my life and my best friend. We are taking some time this week for a little R&R. Really looking forward to getting away for a few days. 

A group from Grace Community Church here in Tempe have scheduled a camping trip for October 19-21. They have asked Sandy and I to go along with them.They have requested that I speak at the Sunday worship service. It is always fun to go camping and especially with the GCC group. 

I will be having all my regular lab work, MRI and other tests at the end of the month. The Lord has been so good to me by allowing me to feel well. I think the tests will show things are going well. I do ask you to continue to pray that the tests will have good results. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your prayers and concern. This past month was difficult, but I am feeling quit well now. 

Thanks again for your prayers and concern. GOD IS GOOD!!!

May God bless you this week with new and renewed relationships.  ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment