Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Boasting Is Dangerous #218


Jeremiah 9:23-24
23 This is what the Lord says: 
“Don’t let the wise boast in their wisdom,
 or the powerful boast in their power,
 or the rich boast in their riches.
24 But those who wish to boast
 should boast in this alone:
 that they truly know me and understand that I am the Lord
 who demonstrates unfailing love
 and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth,
and that I delight in these things.
 I, the Lord, have spoken! (NLT)

Jim’s claim to fame and reason for bragging was his experience of having survived the famous Johnstown, Pennsylvania flood. Everywhere he went he talked to anyone who would listen about the flood. Eventually people avoided him to keep from hearing about his adventure. He eventually died and in heaven God sat everyone down in a big circle and announced that everyone was going to have all the time they needed to tell of the most interesting and exciting thing that happened in their life. Jim was thrilled for the opportunity to talk forever about his flood experience. God then looked straight at Jim and said, “You will be next to speak; right after Noah.”
That might take the wind out of anyone’s sails. It seems that there is something in everyone that awakens a desire to want to brag or boast. Jeremiah gives God’s perspective about bragging. The prophets often used words equivalent to “Thus says the Lord.” Here is one of those occasions when God says words that are powerful and pointed. Don’t brag about certain things, like your wisdom, your power, or your riches. If you desire to boast, boast that you truly know God and understand that He is Lord. Brag about the Lord who has unfailing love. Brag to others that God is a God of justice and righteousness, and that you delight in God and His ways.
Always be cautious about bragging about anything other than God. Normally bragging is not received well by other people, nor is God honored and glorified by our self-aggrandizement. Talk about what a great God you know. Tell people how much He loves them and how powerful, wise, rich, and loving He is. Tell yourself and others that God is Good.

____________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ,

For a grandfather this could not have been a better week. I was able to go with Johnny and Burke to Bass Pro Shop. Burke climbed the wall, shot targets, and enjoyed watching Johnny take it all in. The animals were of special interest to Johnny. Collin and I sat on the bleachers and watched eight marching bands perform on Tuesday night. It was exciting. He has a band concert on Thursday night. Bennett will be 15 on the 8th. We are celebrating his birthday on the 5th. 

Not to be outdone our yet to be born grandson decided he wanted to come early on Sunday night. It is way to early (24 weeks). They were able to get the labor stopped and Mandy, although restricted, is back to work. Please keep praying that this little one will wait for another 8 weeks or longer. Isn't that a great week for a grandfather that has the name "TAPAW?"

Sunday during the middle of the night I received a phone call from the nursing home in Missouri where my Dad lives. He had gotten up in the night, passed out, and fallen. He fell backward and hit his head causing a concussion. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital. He is alright now but doesn't remember what happened.  I would really appreciate your prayers for him. 

The Watchman's class at First Baptist Church of Tempe graciously listened to my teaching on Sunday. I will again teach for the next two weeks. I enjoy the opportunity of sharing God's word. Sunday I taught from 2 Corinthians 12. It is the scripture that tells of the Apostle Paul's struggle with what he calls his thorn in the flesh. The main point I made was that we often have a thorn in our flesh that never goes away and yet God's grace is sufficient to meet our needs. It also reminds me that even when I am weak that in Christ I am strong. What a good God we know, love and serve. 

First Baptist Church is kicking off its Fall Men's Ministry on October 13th. I have been asked to be the speaker at the breakfast. The men's leadership team have a great vision for men's ministry. I am excited to share that vision with the men. Pray for me and the men's ministry.

I continue going to Starbucks most mornings. It is my privilege to meet someone new almost every day. It is always my hope and prayer that I can share with them about my own experience of God's grace and tell them about the Lord. Most everyone is receptive and it is my prayer that God will allow me to plant some seed of faith in their life. Please continue to pray for this vital ministry. 

If the Lord is willing Sandy and I will be out of town next week for a few days on R&R. Really looking forward to a few days to enjoy one another's company and maybe do some sight-seeing and just relaxing. I am so grateful for this opportunity. God is so good.  

I pray that God will bless your life this week with unexpected blessings. God is our Father and I believe that fathers love to give blessings to their children. You are His child. He wants to bless your life this week. Let me know how God blessed you.  ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment