Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Where's Your Wilderness? #211


Luke 5:15-16
15 But despite Jesus’ instructions, the report of his power spread even faster, and vast crowds came to hear him preach and to be healed of their diseases. 16 But Jesus often withdrew to the wilderness for prayer.  (NLT)
Luke 6:12
12 One day soon afterward Jesus went up on a mountain to pray, and he prayed to God all night.  (NLT)

Ever say to yourself? “I need some time off. I am tired. I just have to have a break.”
I think Jesus did just that. He worked tirelessly caring for the needs of people. Sometimes he healed the sick, raised the dead, argued with the Pharisees and attended weddings. Sometimes it was walking miles to the next place of service. No matter what He was doing it took a physical, emotional and yes even a spiritual toll. No wonder the Bible tells us of the crowds of people gathering around Him to express their needs and then anticipate He would do something about them. The Bible wants us to understand the need he had to withdraw into the wilderness.
The wilderness was anyplace of solitude and quiet where He could be refreshed in body, soul and spirit. You need a place like that. The hustle of life, the cares of your work, family, church and people expose you to the need for some time alone with God. Jesus did not just go into the wilderness one time but repeated it. The Bible says He would often slip into the wilderness to pray. Later as He made the great choice of His disciples He spent the whole night in prayer. It was a prayer for making right decisions.
Do you need a time for refreshing, or a time for decision-making? Maybe it is time to escape to a place of prayer. You may say, “I think I could if I had a place like the beach, the mountains, or the redwoods; then I could pray.” You only need to find the closet Jesus mentions in, Matthew 6:6But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly.” (AKJV)                                       
Find your place of solitude today and pray to discover refreshing for your life.
________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks at beautiful Tempe, Az

I hope and pray you had a wonderful week. I am just hoping it will finally cool off a little. We broke another record high this past week by going 8 days with no temperature going below 90 degrees. That is not daytime highs but night time lows. I personally am looking forward to a few nights in the 70s.

Sandy and I spent last week-end in Globe, AZ. I preached at The First Christian Church on Sunday morning. It was a wonderful church with a very warm and friendly congregation. They finished the morning with a pot-luck lunch. I really enjoyed that!! We stayed Friday and Saturday night with Carl and Rebecca Williams at the Dream Manor Inn. It is a beautiful bed  and breakfast situated on a high hill overlooking mountains and valleys. Carl and Rebecca are wonderful folks. If you are looking for a great get away let me suggest the DreamManorInn.com.

I will be preaching Sunday (19th) at the First Baptist Church. Service times at 8:00-9:30-11:00 AM. I only have four more Sundays to preach at FBC until our pastor returns from his Sabbatical. It will be good to have Pastor Roger back in the pulpit. 

Next week we will be celebrating our son-in-laws birthday. John and Mandy are eagerly awaiting the birth of their new baby. (due January 19th) Continue to pray for Mandy and the baby. There are some minor complications. Appreciate your prayer and concerns.

I also appreciate your prayers for my health. We finally have some definitive answers to some issues that I have been experiencing. The diagnosis is hypoglycemia and hepatocerebral syndrome. The later was a result of the liver cancer. Pray that it will not increase. I thank God that I feel well and am able to continue my active schedule. 

God has been so good to Sandy and me. We are blessed by our family, many friends, health, ministry and of course the love and grace of God. (Check out the attached Encourager)

May God bless you this week with understanding. So often we ask "why" and I pray God will give you His understanding.  ~ 
DGW


No comments:

Post a Comment