Thursday, August 23, 2012

So You're Human? #212


Luke 22:31 “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. 32 But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers.” 33 Peter said, “Lord, I’m ready to go to prison with you, and even to die with you.”                                                                              34 But Jesus said, “Peter, let me tell you something. Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me.”
Peter is so human, so filled with frailties, yet Jesus saw in him the potential for great leadership.  No one is ever fit for leadership until they have first been tested.  Peter was tested over and over, but in his greatest test he failed.

Jesus knew Peter would deny Him three times.  Peter went to the point of cursing in his adamant denial of Jesus, yet Jesus did not consider Peter's denial the end of Peter's value and worth. He saw Peter's denial as an opportunity for growth and learning. Once Peter turned again to Jesus and acknowledged his sin and failure he would actually be used to strengthen his brothers in Christ.  Jesus did not even consider his denial a failure of faith, because he prayed that his faith would not fail. Peter repented of his sin and found forgiveness and became an even greater leader than ever.

How human are you? The basis of so much failure in our lives is based upon our humanness. Peter felt very self-sufficient as he told Jesus he would go to prison and even die for Him, but his lack of trusting God actually caused him to do the opposite of what he said. He not only denied Jesus, but denied Him three times in the space of a few hours.

The result would have seemed like total defeat, but on the contrary his actions led him to repentance and eventually he became the leader of the disciples. Jesus words to him included, “So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers.” Don’t give up when you fail. Repent and trust Jesus. You may discover your response will help others. 


_____________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

I am so blessed. God has allowed me to preach His Word almost every Sunday all summer. He has blessed me with family that I love dearly. Check out the picture of my Dad. He is 87 years old. The picture was taken by one of my cousins last week. God has blessed
me with the health to carry on day by day. He has given me friends like you who are a great encouragement to me. He has blessed me with opportunities to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ both in preaching and to individuals. He has blessed me with a wonderful place to live, a nice house, vehicles to drive, and enough money to pay the bills. Sometimes as I think of God's grace and mercy I am overwhelmed with His love. You are also blessed. Take a minute and think about how God has blessed you and thank Him for all He has done and is doing in your life. 

Wednesday (August 22) was my son-in-law's 36th birthday. John and Mandy are expecting their second baby in January. Pray for a safe delivery. Mandy has a condition called Placenta Previa. She is already at a high risk for a premature birth, due to the fact that Johnny was born at 29 weeks. I really hope you will pray for her and for John and the new baby. 

Bennett, Burke and Collin are all in the band at school. They do not attend the same school. Bennett is in the percussion section, Burke is a trumpet player and Collin plays the trumpet. Sandy and I enjoy when they have a concert. We are very proud of them. 

Sandy and I are very busy. I do not know how I ever was able to pastor a church and keep up with everything else. I am very grateful for the opportunity to preach at First Baptist Church of Tempe this summer. Our pastor, Roger Ball, will return on the 9th of September. It will be good to have him back. I will be preaching three services again this Sunday (August 26th) 8-9:30-11:00) The 2nd and 9th I will be preaching at the Intersect (contemporary service) at 9:30. Continue to pray for me and Sandy. She begins her Women's Bible Study on September 4th. 

Thanks for your prayers, concern and support. You are loved. God bless you. I know God will give you guidance concerning the decisions you will need to make.  ~ DGW

PS Last minute prayer need. I have been ill this week, fever and fatigue. Lab results are not good.  My liver enzyme tests show a highly elevated reading. I had an MRI of liver and pancreas on Wednesday. Hopefully will know the results today (Thursday) Please pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment