Thursday, August 9, 2012

Between A Rock And A Hard Place #210


Jonah 2:1-2
Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the stomach of the fish, and he said, "I called out of my distress to the LORD, and He answered me. I cried for help from the depth of Sheol; Thou didst hear my voice. (NAS)

Ever felt like you were between a rock and a hard place. Probably no one has felt that any more than Jonah. He was aboard a ship that was sinking. The reason it was sinking was his fault. He was running from God and found he could not escape the call of God in his life. Once he admitted to the other seaman that he was the problem they threw him overboard. He couldn’t win, or so it seemed. Yet when he fell into the deep it was part of God’s plan.

God had a great fish ready to swallow him. It was in the belly of the great fish that he came to the realization that there was still hope. Few of us have ever found ourselves in quite the predicament in which Jonah found himself. He was in the sea, in the belly of a great fish, and unable to save himself from the sea waters. 

So what would you do? How do you find an answer in this situation? In his distress he called out to God in fervent prayer. You have likely been at the point of despair when you felt you were surely not going to survive. It is then that you truly learn to pray. It is when there is no hope of survival, no word of encouragement, no way out that you learn to call out to God.

It is strange that you might think of prayer as the last resort rather than the first choice, but it is usually as you get desperate that you will ask God to save you.

It is then that you discover that God was all you ever really needed. If you are looking for purpose and have a burden why not call out to God. He loves you.
Start with prayer, end with prayer, and pray in the meantime. God desires to bring you through your struggle into hope, encouragement and victory. Call out to Him as Jonah did.

___________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

I hope you have had a great week. I saw in a church newsletter this week that summer is over. Wish someone would tell the weather that. IT IS HOT! 

Sunday night I preached at First Baptist Church Tempe. We started a new series from Philippians. I enjoyed the opportunity to preach the first of the series. This Sunday (12th) I will be speaking at the First Christian Church of Globe, AZ. Then on July 19th and 26th and September 2nd and 9th I will be back preaching at FBC Tempe. 

All three of my older grandsons are now back in school. Collin and Burke are 6th graders and Bennett is a Sophomore. Johnny is doing well, and his little new brother or sister to come (January 19th) is doing fine, as well as is mom, Mandy. Johnny also got his first haircut. 

Several of you have asked about my tests. I have some issues to be dealt with. My blood sugar levels are not the best. I have hypoglycemia. The blood sugar drops to the point that I get weak and shaky and nearly pass out. Not a fun feeling. It also causes mental confusion. On top of that the MRI of my brain found that I do have one. LOL  The problem is with the cancer in my liver because it causes high levels of ammonia. The ammonia went to my brain and has caused some irreparable brain damage. Something I will have to live with. The Dr. is doing more tests on the ammonia levels. If they are currently high then there is medication to help that. As usual it will be another week before I know the results. Appreciate your prayers. 

Sandy will begin her Tuesday morning Bible study on September 4th. Pray for her preparation as well as the women who will attend her study. 

I so appreciate your prayers, encouragement and support. May God bless you this week with answers to prayer.  ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment