Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Why DId I Do That? #205

Romans 7:15-20 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
“Why did I do that?” “Why didn’t I do the right thing?” “I feel like such a failure.” “Every time I turn around I am messing up again.” “Is there any hope?” “What is the explanation for my actions or lack of them?”

Are these thoughts ever churning through your mind? Do you feel defeated in your Christian life? You have a real desire to live in such a way that God gets glory and your life is an example of the holiness that God has declared you to possess, but it seems to allude you? Let me assure you, you are not alone. Even the Apostle Paul wrote to the Roman church about his personal struggles. He was having a similar experience. He simply said that “what I want to do I don’t; and what I don’t want to do, I do.  

It is certainly frustrating to have the desire to live a life that is pleasing to God and yet fail over and over. Paul says his inconsistency is really not failure of the new person; he is in Christ, but the flesh that indwells him. It is the sin that is still present in the life of a believer.                                                                                   
You may not have difficulty admitting your struggles with the flesh, but maybe you do. Maybe to admit your struggle might be the most helpful decision you could make. By admitting your weakness you can also find your strength. Your dependence upon Christ within you is your only hope of victory. 


The Bible says in Romans 7: 24-25 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
______________Today's personal note from Dennis
Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ
The heat is on!! I suppose that could mean lots of things, but for most all of you it means one thing; the weather is HOT!  We who live in AZ have a hard time understanding how so many people struggle when it gets over 100 degrees. It is that way here almost everyday all summer. Usually we have 40 days over 110 degrees. Then I remember some of you have no air conditioning. Hope things cool off for you. 

I took Bennett, Burke and Collin to the AZ Science Center this past week. We had a great time. The Center is filled with scientific 
and experiential hands on exhibits. We tried just about everything. The best part is that I had the privilege of being with my grandsons for the 
day. They are really special to me. The only problem is that Johnny is not quite old enough to join us. 

Sandy, Collin and I will be heading to San Diego this week. We are looking forward to staying in an RV park with our travel trailer. Burke and Bennett 
will also be in San Diego and we plan a day at the beach with them. Should be a lot of fun. Burke has a new metal detector. We are going treasure hunting on the beach. 

I will be back at First Baptist Church Tempe preaching on July 15 and 22. It will be the three morning services again. I so enjoy preaching and the First Baptist
Church Family are very encouraging. 

Several of you have asked about Mandy and the pregnancy and how things are going. She is doing well. We are excited and yet concerned. The doctors tell her she is at high risk to have another preemie. Pray that she is able to go full term with this baby. Mandy is still working full time as the acting manager of a Charlotte Russe store. John continues his check business and watches Johnny when Mandy is at work. Sandy and I watch him one or two days a week. We so enjoy him. He spent the night with us last Friday night. He was so good. 

I am continuing my reading of books on grace. God is so gracious. Daily I find myself reflecting on all He does for me and for you. He not only gave 
us eternal life through Jesus, but every good and perfect gift is from Him. What a blessing. It is so easy to look at the negative things of life and miss out on the joy of life that God gives us. Philippians 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again, I say rejoice." 

May God Bless you this week as you walk by faith and not by sight. I so appreciate all of you. Would love to hear from you. What are you up to this summer?  ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment