Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Self-sufficient or God-sufficient #203

John 15:5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (NIV)


Can you be self-sufficient and still remain in Christ? Are you self-sufficient or God-sufficient? If you are honest you would have to admit that those two concepts are contradictory. you are either remaining in Christ, Dependent upon Him, or you are trying to live your life without Him.


Self-sufficiency may be the greatest detriment to a victorious Christian life. Jesus came to give you His life in exchange for your self-sufficient life. When you take charge of your own life you produce the fruit of the flesh; such things as immorality, hatred, disunity, selfish ambition and envy. When you are yielded to God you produce fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness and self control as a result of remaining in Christ.


As a believer in Jesus you have become a new creation, a new person, someone who is 'in Christ'. The scripture simply says you are to remain in that position. Without remaining in Christ the ability to produce fruit becomes impossible. You may strive, work at it, and try really hard yet never produce the fruit of God's Spirit. This does not bring glory to God. As you remain in Him He takes over your self-sufficienty and replaces it with God-sufficiency.


As a believer you will grow weary and defeated as you try to accomplish that which only God can do. You are in Christ; allow Him to live His life through you. You will never be inadequate, inferior, or disappointed. Your life will be a fulfilling and rewarding life; bringing glory to God.


God did not make you to be independent from Him, but in total dependence upon Him. He came to give you life and life more abundant, but that is only possible when you are yielded to Him and remain in Him. He loves you and desires that you have His life.


God will bring into your life whatever is necessary to bring you to the end of self-sufficienty in order that you will remain in Him.


______________Today's personal note from Dennis


Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ,

Father's Day was wonderful. Not only because of my children and grandchildren, but because God allowed me to once again preach 
three services in a row at First Baptist Church in Tempe. What a blessing. 

I appreciate your prayers. I not only preached three services, but went to lunch and then came home and went swimming with Collin. (see pic)
Sunday evening I attended my son-in-laws hockey game. What a fun time. John shot the winning score. Little Johnny watched through the glass and yelled at his Daddy.(see pic) I had Father's Day dinner Monday night with Roger and Burke. (see pic) What a great Father's Day. Susan was out of town so only got to see her a few minutes on Sunday. (thus no pic) Bennett was at youth camp. (thus no pic) Hope you had a great day. 

Summer is such a fun and busy time. The kids are in children's camp, youth camp, VBS, swimming, traveling etc. We in AZ are just enjoying our HEAT! It is supposed to be 112 this week. For all of you in cooler climates just remember January. 

I will be preaching again Sunday at FBC in Tempe all three morning services at 8:00, 9:30 and 11:00. Hope to see many of you there. I am scheduled to preach again July 15 and 22, August 5 in the 6:00 PM service and again Sunday morning August 19 and 26, and then in the Loft Service on September 2 and 9 at 9:30. 
The Lord has opened the door for me to preach in Globe, AZ on August 12th. Looking forward to the opportunity. 

I pray that God will bring you His joy and peace this week. I want to encourage you to yield your life anew to Him. (check out the devotional attached)

I so appreciate your prayers and concern. I have received a preliminary report concerning my cancer. I still have a small tumor in my liver that has slightly grown during the past three months. I have a slight elevation in 5HIAA and Serotonin levels and in Chromogranin A levels, BUT ALL other lab results show everything within the NORMAL levels. I praise the Lord for that. I see the oncologist on the 25th so I will give a further report next week. 

Thanks again for your prayers. God bless you. ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment