Thursday, March 24, 2011

Need Rest? #138

Matthew 11:28-30
Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light." (NLT)

Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (RSV)

It is difficult to conceive that someone knows everything, but God does. Thankfully God knows and understands the weariness and burden will likely not be the same that someone else carries, but it is real and overloads your body, soul and spirit. Thank God He is aware of your need and has done something about it. He overcomes your struggles with His rest. It is not a nap, or a good night's sleep, or even a long vacation. His rest provides a supernatural strength you cannot muster or create. He is your rest.

The yoke was the wooden crossbeam placed on the shoulders of two animals that allowed them to pull a load together. It was used as a symbol of the teachings of the rabbis. Jesus used the word to describe His relationship with you. You are never alone. As you are under the yoke of God you are being led and taught by Him. You are to take the yoke of God and place it on yourself to learn of and from Him.

Jesus, as your rabbi, is humble and gentle. Jesus drew a comparison between the wonderful yoke of a Christian believer and the discouraging yoke of heaviness and slavery placed on the people by the rabbis of the day. Jesus' gentle and humble heart results in a yoke that is easy and a burden that is light.

You can make a great trade today. Why not trade your heavy burdens, your weariness in life for the yoke of Jesus. He is ready to give you REST FOR YOUR SOUL.

What a wonderful trade.

______________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from home in AZ,

We have lots of things to praise the Lord for this week. Baby Johnny is doing well. Although he is still fed through a tube, he is eating 40cc per feeding. He is to be removed from the incubator into a bed soon. He is still on oxygen, but breathing on his own.

My wire is out and my pain is gone. Wonderful!! It is the first time in 21 months I have not had a tube in my liver.

We had a wonderful visit from our niece, Meredith, this weekend. She brought her fiance. We greeted them with cold rainy weather. It was actually warmer in Kansas City where they live than it was here. What a bummer.

Prayer requests remain the same. Please continue to pray for little Johnny. Pray for ministries opportunities for Sandy and me.

God bless you and yours! ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment