Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Die to Live #224


Galatians 2:16 Yet we know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the law. And we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we might be made right with God because of our faith in Christ, not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law.” 17 But suppose we seek to be made right with God through faith in Christ and then we are found guilty because we have abandoned the law. Would that mean Christ has led us into sin? Absolutely not! 18 Rather, I am a sinner if I rebuild the old system of law I already tore down. 19 For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me. So I died to the law—I stopped trying to meet all its requirements—so that I might live for God. 20 My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die. (NLT)
How do you respond to the preceding verses? If you believe it is necessary to live by the Law of Moses (the Old Testament) then you probably are troubled by Paul’s comments. The New Covenant is a covenant of grace and is applied to your life by faith. By God’s grace and through faith you are made right with God. Any other way, such as keeping the rules and regulations will not bring salvation to you. Paul goes so far as to say no one will ever be right with God by keeping the law. He knew first of all it was an impossibility to keep the law. He also goes further to say that when you try to keep the law you are condemned instead of saved.
So what is the answer? The Bible says to die to the law, and live to God. The scripture reminds you that you have been crucified with Christ and that you no longer live, but Christ lives in and for you. You live this life not by rules, but by faith. To live by rules is to treat God’s grace as meaningless. If you could keep the law and be made right with God then Christ’s death on the cross is meaningless. Live by grace and faith. 
___________________Today's personal note from Dennis
Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

Hope you have had a wonderful week. Knowing that God is at work in your life brings a real peace; one that passes understanding.  I am sure you may have had a challenging week. Remember that God is good and is teaching you to trust Him more and more.

I still haven't finished waxing the camper. Johnny came out to help again. This time Sandy gave him a squirt bottle; a new experience for him. He could not squeeze the handle with his fingers, but found out he could use his thumb. Of course the water sprayed directly into his face. It didn't take long before he decided that was fun. He was soaked afterwards. It doesn't take much to entertain a 20 month old little boy. (see pic)

This week I received the reports from the medical tests that I took. The news is mixed. The lab work is very good except for two things. The ammonia and serotonin levels are extremely high. Both can have long term negative effects. Please continue to pray. The MRI was not as good.  It shows that the tumors have grown in size and increased in number in the past two months.This creates a real need for prayer. The doctor will not be giving me further treatment because the treatment itself would likely have too many negative side effects. The only medication that might relieve some of the symptoms of the Carcinoid Syndrome would cost over 1000 dollars a month above what medicare pays. Needless to say I really request your prayers right now. 

Sandy also had an exam to determine if her bladder cancer had returned. Thank God she is fine. She is tested every six months. We are so grateful that the doctors caught the cancer early. She has no complications from the original or recurring cancer. For that we praise the Lord. The original cancer was found three years ago. 

On a lighter note: we attended our grandson Bennett's school play last Friday night. It was a fun time and of course he did a great job. 

Mandy still has not had her baby; for that we are grateful. She is currently 30 weeks into the pregnancy. Monday she went back to the hospital with contractions. The medication stopped the contractions and she did not have to stay in the hospital. We again praise the Lord. 

Can you believe next week is Thanksgiving? The stores in our area seem to have forgotten Thanksgiving. We moved directly from Halloween to Christmas. The stores are already having Christmas sales. My Starbucks is decorated for Christmas already. Even the Christmas tree is up and decorated.  As you walk into the store it appears Christmas is here. 

As you know I go to Starbucks every morning. Someone asked what I do. This morning I fed a homeless man a breakfast sandwich and a cup of coffee, visited with a man from our church, talked to two school teachers and two police officers. I find all are in need of encouragement. Isn't God good?

I pray you have a wonderful week. May God bless you with a spiritual lift. May you experience God and His love, mercy and grace. I also pray you would pass along love, acceptance and forgiveness. That is the work of the Holy Spirit in your life.  ~  DGW


No comments:

Post a Comment