Thursday, April 5, 2012

Touching and Believing #192

John 20:24-28
24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore were saying to him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I shall see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."
26 And after eight days again His disciples were inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst, and said, "Peace be with you."
27 Then HE said to Thomas, "Reach here your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it ion My side; and be not unbelieving, but believing."
28 Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" (NAS)

Thomas had a story, a story of doubt, fear, and faith. He was a no doubt a faithful follower of Jesus. He even said he was willing to die for Jesus. He knew Jesus as his Savior and Lord, and yet he doubted the life giver.

He was not present when the disciples gathered on that first Sunday night after Jesus' resurrection. He declared to the other disciples that he just could not believe unless he could see and touch Jesus for himself. For that reason he is nicknamed, doubting Thomas. His doubts were not a rejection of Jesus as his Savior and Lord. He was still waiting on 'the power of His resurrected life.' Philippians 3:10 "that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection." (NIV) It was not until he reached out and touched Jesus that the resurrection became real to him.

Do you believe in Jesus? Yes. Do you believe he died on the cross for your sins? Do you believe He forgives you? Yes. Are you experiencing His resurrected life in you? Thomas was uncertain of the abundant life until Jesus revealed that He was alive and could give that life to Thomas.

You may have a story of Jesus saving you, forgiving you of your sins, becoming the Lord of your life, but have yet to grasp the life changing life he offers you. "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10 (NIV)

_______________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ
Happy Easter. It is such a privilege and joy to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Most of you will gather in churches around the world to worship the risen Lord. It is my prayer that He will become even more a part of your life in the coming days. What a great time to renew your commitment to Him than at Easter.

As usual our family will come together for Sunday dinner on Easter. The kids will have a fun time with Easter Egg hunting. Sandy so enjoys coloring the eggs and watching the kids find the eggs throughout the yard. This year will be special in that Johnny will also be hunting them too. He started walking across the room this past week. He had taken one or two steps before, but now is walking a lot.

Bennett will be a participant in his school's musical April 13, 14, 20, and 21. They are presenting "Guys and Dolls." Bennett loves music and from Tapaw's perspective very good at it. Collin started soccer this past week. It was his first time playing in about seven years. Again Tapaw thinks he is quite good. Burke text me this week and wanted a whetstone to sharpen his knife. He had watched me sharpen knives while we were camping. Tapaw just gave him his whetstone. Tapaw sure enjoys being a grandfather.

Sandy finishes teaching her ladies Bible study this week. She has so enjoyed teaching. She is considering putting the studies into a book. She has taught about women of the Bible who experienced trials. I think it is very well done and merits being published. She has spoken with an editor who will take a look at the material. Pray for the opportunity for her to write and publish her studies.

Sunday I will have the joy of participating in the Intersect service at our church, First Baptist Church of Tempe. My part will be a monologue of Thomas and his explanation of his time of doubting. Pray for me. I find it much more difficult to memorize than it did a few years ago. I like to blame the chemotherapy and all the drugs, but most people tell me I am just getting old.
I preached last Sunday at First Southern Baptist Church of Phoenix. The church is the oldest Southern Baptist Church in Arizona, founded in 1921. It is the mother church of many of Arizona's SBC churches. They are currently looking for a pastor. Pray for them.
I hope you have a great Holy Week. Remember that our Lord Jesus is Alive. He loves you. He died for you. He lives for you. Someday He is coming back for you. To God be the glory.
It will be 24 years ago this summer that we arrived in Arizona. See the PIC. Sandy and I have changed! For the better of course. As we used to say back in Missouri,
"There has been a lot of water under the bridge since that picture was taken."

I always desire your prayers. Thanks for your encouraging words. It is always good to hear from you. I so appreciate you. ~ DGW


No comments:

Post a Comment