Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Road Kill #191

1 Samuel 30:11-13 Now they found an Egyptian in the field and brought him to David, and gave him bread and he ate, and they provided him water to drink. And they gave him a piece of fig cake and two clusters of raisins, and he ate; then his spirit revived. For he had not eaten bread or drunk water for three days and three nights. And David said to him, "To whom do you belong? And where are you from?" And he said, "I am a young man of Egypt, a servant of an Amalekite; and my master left me behind when I fell sick three days ago. (NAS)

Left for dead on the side of the road or in this case in a field; that is the condition of the Egyptian, the servant of the Amalekites, that David found dying. The Amalekites were not only the enemy of David, but of their own servants. The Amalekites represent the flesh in all of us. We have three basic spiritual enemies: the world, the devil, and the flesh. The enemy had captured David's family. David in hot pursuit of them found one of the enemy's servants in a field dying from lack of nourishment. As they gave him water and bread and fig cake and raisins, he revived.

When David asked him, "to whom do you belong?" he answered that he was an Egyptian and a servant of an Amalekite. He also said that the Amalekite left him behind when he was sick. As in all of us he flesh makes great promises, but never fulfills them. The Amalekites, the flesh, took care of the servant as long as he was useful. After that they left him to die.

The flesh promises prosperity, peace, excitement, popularity, and fun.The problem is the flesh delivers death. The flesh is at war with the Spirit of God within every believer and the flesh is a destroyer much like Satan is a destroyer. Never trust the flesh to give you anything except to leave you dying in the field. Only God gives life.

Galatians 5:17 "For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please."

__________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

What a wonderful week. God provided some AZ weather and Sandy and I took advantage of the 80 degree weather to be outside in the yard doing some clean up and enjoying the beauty of the weather. That is why we live in AZ.I celebrated my 66th. birthday on Tuesday. The family got together on Sunday evening to celebrate with me and to eat. We all do that well.

John was unable to be with us due to his team being in the finals of an ice hockey tournament. Yes we do have ice in AZ. He is finding new aches and pains. Mandy tells him that it is because he is 35. Like most men that doesn't mean a lot.

I met with two pastor friends this week. One is my own pastor, Roger Ball. He is going on Sabbatical this summer and has asked me to preach several times in his stead. I look forward to this opportunity to parch and also help him.

The other was a young pastor, Justin Anderson. I met him
over six years ago. He is gifted, blessed and skilled at church planting. He was used of God to plant a church in Tempe that grew to several hundred. He is leaving that church to begin a new congregation in the city of San Francisco. He is excited about the challenge. I will miss his fellowship, but gives me a reason to visit SF.

A deacon from my past called this week and we met at Starbucks for a cup of coffee. Randy and I have known one another for almost 24 years. We both have aged a bit. He is suffering from Parkinson's. His faith is so strong. He is an encourager to many. Although at this time he is not able to work he still is involved in ministry.

I also met with a man from our church and the men's Bible study group at Starbucks. For me this past week was great.

There were also some things that brought grief. I lost a friend, Lee Nelli, this week from pancreatic cancer. He fought a good fight, but the disease overcame him. He is now in perfect peace with a new body in heaven. Another one of those people I will see again.

Isn't it great to know that as believers we will all be together in the end. That our heavenly father has a family reunion for all his children someday.

I will be preaching at First Southern Baptist Church in Phoenix on April 1st. I am reminded that it is April Fool's Day. Sure hope the guy who called and asked me to preach was not joking.

God bless you all this week. May He give you renewed strength and bless you with abilities beyond all you could ask or think.

To Him be the glory. ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment