Thursday, June 2, 2011

Coping With Life #148

Psalms 131:1-3

1 A song for the ascent to Jerusalem. A psalm of David. LORD, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me. 2 But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother. Yes, like a small child is my soul within me. 3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD -- now and always.


If you were asked the question: “How are you?” Would your answer include the words, “I am tired?” Most people are overcommitted, overworked, and expecting too much of themselves and others. Are you one of those? David, the Psalmist, discovered himself to be the overachiever who was proud and haughty, concerned with matters above and beyond his strength.


David found that he could no longer keep up the pace and finally found in God a place of quiet and peace. The need of his soul was recovered deep in the presence of a God. He discovered that his tireless efforts generated by his prideful, haughty spirit only led to emotional and physical exhaustion.


The answer was to make some choices. He simply decided to not involve himself in matters to difficult. He also made a conscious effort to be still and quiet his soul. He pictures his life as a small child resting against its mother for comfort and peace. David sees himself as that child resting in the arms of God.


He could only do that because he knew the God of comfort and peace; a God in whom he could take refuge. What today is overwhelming to you? What are you attempting to do or be in order to prove your value or worth? Remember that your true value and worth only comes from God? Is your pride in your accomplishments destroying your life? How are you coping with the issues you are facing? Could it be that you need to back off from the devastating issues that are destroying you and take a place of stillness and quiet in the arms of the Lord?


God loves you and accepts you as you are. He desires to hold you in His presence and bring a calm to your soul. Allow him right now to be your comfort, consoler, and encourager.


___________________________Today's personal note from Dennis


Greetings from beautiful AZ,


I do hope and pray you have had a great week. This has been a week that Sandy and I were able to share together. Over three years ago we were given a boat. Because of my illness we had never had it to the Lake fishing. Well we did this week.

Sandy of course caught more fish than I did. 6 to 0. I have been skunked before. Although it sounds better if I tell that most of my
time was spent taking fish off her line, baiting her hook and making sure she had the best place to fish. That is not true, but makes a great story.

We also took in a movie and spent last evening babysitting little Johnny. Friday night Burke and Bennett spent the night with us. It is always fun to have them around. We are so grateful for all four of our grandson. Collin just returned from a week in Florida at Disney World. He is full of stories. Bennett graduates from 8th grade Friday June 3rd. We are looking forw
ard to the festivities.

June 24-26 we will be at the Family Camping Trip of Grace Community Church at Wood's Canyon Campground. I will be leading their worship service on Sunday June 26 in the beautiful Rim Country of Arizona.
June 3 I get the reports back from the Oncologist. Pray for good reports.

June 13-17 three of the grandsons: Burke, Bennett and Collin will be at Church Camp. Pray for them to learn about their walk with God. All three boys know Christ as their Savior and Lord. For that we praise God.

Thank you for all your prayers and concern. Please pray for ministry opportunities for Sandy and me. Love you all. ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment