Thursday, June 30, 2011

Carrying A Burden #152

Nehemiah 1:3-6a They said to me, "The remnant there in the province who survived the captivity are in great distress and reproach, and the wall of Jerusalem is broken down and its gates are burned with fire." 4 When I heard these words, I sat down and wept and mourned for days ; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven. 5 I said, "I beseech You, O LORD God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who preserves the covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments, 6 let Your ear now be attentive and Your eyes open to hear the prayer of Your servant which I am praying before You now, day and night, on behalf of the sons of Israel Your servants.


It is one thing to care about yourself and your own needs, but there is something special about having a burden for someone else. Nehemiah received information that the city of Jerusalem was in ruins and that the people were in distress and reproach. The walls of the city were broken down and burned. His response is similar to what your response might be if your friend, family or loved one was hurting. He sat down and cried. His heart was broken over the sorrow of someone for which he cared deeply. They were going through a difficult time and he was moved with compassion. The Bible says that he mourned for days and sometimes problems do not end overnight. They often continue over a long period

of time. Such was the case for Jerusalem.


Nehemiah went into action. He knew that the only permanent help would come from God. He called upon God with fasting and prayer. His intercession for his beloved city caused him to approach God as the great, awesome God, who preserves the covenant and was filled with love for His people.


Do you have someone right now for whom you are especially burdened? The Bible says to bear one another’s burdens. You can do that right now by bringing your concern to God, who is full of loving-kindness. You can pray for the person or persons that you know need God’s love and grace. God answered Nehemiah’s prayer and he will yours too.


More than likely you have someone right now who is depending on your prayers and concern. Why not be the person who brings their needs in prayer to God?


_______________________Today's personal note from Dennis


Greetings from Banner Desert Medical Center,

No, I am not a patient this time. My grandson, Johnny, was admitted on Monday because of digestive issues. The Doctors have discovered he has reflux and swallowing issues, and he is also allergic to milk. So he will be using a new formula and doing several other things to improve his ability to eat. We are hoping he will go home by Thursday if not before.

Sandy and I have pretty well camped out at the hospital with Mandy and John since Monday. We are all tired and are ready to go home. We would really appreciate your prayers for Johnny.

I have had the privilege of going around the hospital to see Doctors and Nurses who cared for me when I was a patient. Some of them I hadn’t seen for almost two years. They were amazed at how well I am doing. It was my honor to tell them how good God is. I also was able to thank them for their great care of me. One Doctor mentioned he keeps a picture of Sandy and me on his desk to inspire him. God is at work.

This past weekend Sandy and I had a wonderful time at the Grace Community Church’s all church campout. We enjoyed the mountains in the rim country of Arizona. The fishing was fair and the fellowship was great. I had the opportunity of preaching on Sunday and also baptizing three people. What a joy.I hope you have a great week and pray that God will pour out his blessings upon you. He does love you and cares for you. Thank Him often and return the love to Him. Also I want to remind you to "love one another". ~DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment