Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Winning the Victory #186

1 Samuel 30:3-4
3 And when David and his men cme to the city, behold, it was burned with fire, and their wives and their sons and their daughters had been taken captive.
4 Then David and the people who were with him lifted their voices and wept until there was no strength in them to weep.
1 Samuel 30:8
And David inquired of the LORD, saying, "Shall I pursue this band? Shall I overtake them?" And He said to him, "Pursue, for you shall surely overtake them, and you shall surely rescue all."

The Amalekites attacked David and his people, and family while he was away. The Amalekites were the descendants of Esau. Moses had earlier declared to Israel that the Amalekites would always be their enemy. They attacked during a time of vulnerability.

Some Biblical scholars have compared the Amalekites to the flesh (or the selfish nature) that Christians contend with on a continuous basis. When David's family was attacked and his wives and daughters and sons were carried away into captivity he and all of Israel wept until they could weep no more. Then when he had no strength left he inquired of God as to what he should do. God told him not only to pursue the enemy, but that he would have victory and all of the captives would be rescued. As Christians the battle of the flesh against the Spirit is obvious. Although the enemy brings forth death there is victory over the flesh by walking in the Spirit.

Romans 8:5-6
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

Set your mind on and walk in the Spirit and find victory over the flesh as David did over the Amalekites.

_________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ,

Hoping you have had a wonderful week. This has already been a great week for me. So many of you have inquired about my CT scans and Lab work. WELL! HERE IS THE REPORT!!

The CT scan shows a small tumor in the right love of the liver (only 7mm) with no change for the past six months. That is the GREAT news. The Lab work shows that the liver is functioning properly. The enzymes in the liver are in the NORMAL range for the first time in years. I told the doctor on Monday that I thought God must have had something to do with the good news and he quickly agreed. I was able to share with him about me sharing my story of God's grace and healing with people. I also was able to tell him what I had learned. He was quite interested. PTL

Sandy and I continue to be blessed with ministry opportunities. We would ask you to pray for us for the following:
1. Sandy continues to lead a Tuesday morning Bible Study at FBC Tempe.
2 My preaching schedule:
March 4th at the Intersect Service (9:30) at FBC Tempe
April 1st at First Southern Baptist Church of Phoenix (10:30)
April 29-May 2 at Second Baptist Church, Lebanon, MO
May 20-25 Campers on Mission, Project Building in Burton, AZ
June 17th & 24th, FBC Tempe, (all three morning services)
July 15th & 22nd, FBC Tempe, (all three morning services)
August 5th FBC Tempe, (6pm)
September 2nd & 9th, Intersect Service (9:30)
3. Sandy and I will be back in Columbus, Ohio in November for our annual retreat.

We are so grateful to have all four of our grandsons living nearby. We see them often and love them dearly. They are all four doing well. The three oldest are all in their school's band programs. Bennett is in the percussion section. Collin is learning the trumpet and Burke plays the trombone. Burke recently was promoted to the Intermediate Band at his school Bennett also is in the musical for "guys and Dolls" at his school. We are so proud of all of them.

One of the highlights of my week is Friday mornings. I meet with a men's Bible Study group at Grace Community Church for a time of fellowship at Starbucks. We laugh, sure and encourage one another. They are a super bunch of guys.

God had so blessed my life. I am so thankful. I am also grateful and thankful for YOU! So many of you have inquired about my health condition and of my family. Sandy and I so appreciate you and your concerns and continue to ask for your prayers as we serve the Lord.

Have a week filled with God's grace, the love of God and His peace. I pray you will find encouragement and hope in all you do. ~ DGW



No comments:

Post a Comment