Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Will it Happen? #165

1 Kings 19:4-10
4 But he himself wen a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree; and he requested for himself that he might die, and said, "It is enough; now, O LORD, take my life, for I am not better than my fathers." 5 He lay down and slept under a juniper tree; and behold, there was an angel touching him, and he said to him, "Arise, eat" 6 Then he looked and behold, there was at his head a bread cake aced on hot stones, and a jar of water. So he ate and drank and lay down again. 7 The angel of the LORD came again a second time and touched him and said, "Arise, eat, because the journey is too great for you." 8 So he arose and ate and drank, and went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights to Horeb, the mountain of God. 9 Then he came to him, and He said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 10 He said, I have been very zealous for the LORD, the God of hosts; for the sons of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars and killed Your prop hers with the sword. And I alone am left; and they seek my life, to take it away."

In Chapter 1Kings 18 Elijah faces the prophets of Baal. He challenges them to a duel of the fire in the desert. The Baal worshippers build an altar and call on their God to produce fire to consume the sacrifice. They cry, cut themselves, scream and yell all to no avail. The fire does not fall.

Elijah rebuilds the altar, puts on the wood and then pours water all over the sacrifice and the wood. He then calls on the name of God and prays for God to come and consume the sacrifice. God not only accepts the sacrifice by providing fire but also dries up the water and the wood is burned. Victory is his, but also HIS.

Jezebel, the wife of Ahab the king, declares that by the next day Elijah will be dead. He runs a day's journey from the area to save his life. He then declares to God that he would like to die. totally defeated, discouraged, depressed and wishing to die; God meets him. But what was he expecting in his state of mind? Maybe he was hoping for Ahab to change, or all Israel to fall before God in worship. Neither happened.

What do you expect to happen in your situation or circumstance? It may not happen. What will happen is that God will meet you and meet your needs. He loves you and cares about you. Just trust that He is for you; and "if God is for you who can be against you." Romans 8:31

__________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ.

I hope and pray you have had a great week. I am so often reminded of God's love, mercy and grace in everyday experiences. Life is filled with challenges and opportunities. So often we see them only as difficulties, tragedies, and struggles, but god gives us a victory that only He can give and
that we cannot explain; except that God fit it. PTL

Sandy and I have had all four of our grandsons at our home during the past week. That always makes us smile. We are so grateful for them and their parents. (Yes, even our own children)
They are wonderful parents.

Ever have something at one time in your life that you wish you had back? For all of us old guys the topic usually goes to the car we had years ago. It becomes the topic of conversation when old guys get together. Several weeks ago I showed a picture of me and Sandy next to a car. I had so many of you OLD GUYS ask about it that I thought a new picture would give you a better look at the 1956 DeSoto, hermihead. Yes, IT IS PINK! Wish I had that one back.

We have several prayer needs:
1. Sandy is having an Ultra Sound on her thyroid on Wednesday, the 28th. Pray for good results. We don't know when she will hear the results.

2. I had lab work done on the 27th. A CT scan and X-rays will be done on October, 10th. I will receive the results on the 14th when I see my oncologist.

3. Pray for our family and the many opportunities and challenges we are facing.

4. Sandy and I are studying in preparation for the Retreat in Ohio in November. Pray for our preparation. Our topic L "God is not finished with you yet" is challenging. We look forward to seeing our friends in Ohio. Let me know of your prayer requests. I would love to pray for you.

5. Sandy continues to teach a ladies Bible Study at First Baptist of Tempe on Tuesday mornings. Pray for her and her preparation, presentation and that the women in class will grow in their relationship with the Lord.

6. I will be preaching at Northpointe Baptist Church in Chandler, AX on October 23. Pray for my preparation. I have preached there several times before and look forward to being with them again.

Love to you all. ~ DGW


No comments:

Post a Comment