Thursday, August 5, 2010

Are You Part of the Flock? #105

John 21:15
So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you."He said to him, "Tend My lambs.
16 He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Shepherd My sheep."
17 He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to Him," Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you. "Jesus said to him," tend My sheep. (NAS)

The Bible uses many metaphors to describe the church. It is compared to a bride, a field, a flock, a building, a people for God’ possession, sheep, an assembly. Jesus, Himself said, “I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.” Matthew 16:18

Jesus confronted the apostle Peter with the imperative of caring for the flock. Jesus saw the church as sheep needing leadership. A leader that tended, cared for, and shepherded the flock of sheep He called His church. It should show you the importance of the church in your life to realize that Jesus left disciples to care for His church.

Today He still has those whose calling is to shepherd the sheep. We all need the fellowship, the teaching, the worship, the ministry of the church, but especially the care we receive from the church. Are you a part of the flock, then why not join with a local church in your area this Sunday and experience along with the other sheep what it means to be a part of Jesus’ flock.

I hope you find purpose for your life today as you grow in Christ. May God bless you as your spiritual life prospers in Jesus.

________________________Today's Personal Note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in Tempe, AZ
We are back home from our road trip to South Dakota. We traveled 3585 miles and drove in 6 states. Sandy, Collin, and I had a wonderful time. All along the way I was able to share with people about the amazing God we serve. From people in laundramats to waitresses to preaching three times at the Community Bible church in Pierre, SD God opened doors for ministry.

The Jones family in Pierre were great hosts for our time there. What a great family. The Community Bible Church welcomed us and blessed us. We returned with mixed emotions. We were glad to be home but had such a good time we wanted to stay.


You who sign up for the blog will still receive it as an email each week. Thanks for subscribing. It is much appreciated. You may still reply by clicking on "comment"

Thanks for your prayers for open doors for ministry. I will be preaching at the Laveen Baptist Church on Sunday August 15th. Our fall schedule is beginning to fill. Please continue to pray for both Sandy and me to have opportunities to use our teaching gifts.

May God extend extra grace for your special need today.

No comments:

Post a Comment