Wednesday, April 28, 2010

True Freedom #91

John 8:31-32
31 Jesus therefore was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you
abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
32 and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
(NAS)

Jesus knew the desire in everyone’s heart was to be free. To the Jews of His day the freedom meant no longer would they be under the rule of Rome. Freedom to them meant no longer would they have those who had invaded their land to hold control over their lives. Jesus announced to the Jews who had believed in Him that they could have true freedom. They were the Jews who had found the truth that Jesus was their true Messiah.

The freedom was of the spirit and soul. It was a release from the control of sin and self and Satan. His admonishment was to ‘abide in my word and you will truly be my disciples.’ Those who followed Christ lived by, believed in and practiced the teachings of Jesus. Real disciples, real followers, learners of Christ were people of the word. Freedom was based on truth. Without truth there is no true freedom. The word was and still is truth.
Do you want to be a disciple of Jesus? Do you desire truth and freedom? Someone has said the most important discipline of the Christian life is to hear, read, study, memorize and meditate on the word of God; the Bible. Take the challenge of Jesus today and abide in His word. It will set you free through the discovery of truth.

I hope you find purpose for your life today as you grow in Christ. May God bless you as your spiritual life prospers in Jesus.

________________________________Today's Personal Note from Dennis

Greetings from Pine AZ! Sandy and I have had a wonderful week in Pine. Each day we have shared devotionals. It is such a joy to open God's word to a receptive audience. The Campers and Mission group are just great folks.

We didn't plan it but I had to make and emergency trip to the hospital in Mesa. I have been there so many times that the folks in the ER were glad to see us. This time it was an unusual acute allergic reaction which affected my right eye. The Doctors were concerned there might be a growth behind the eye. Fortunately just severe allergic reaction and very treatable.

Please pray: This coming week will be very important. I have lab work on Monday. Tuesday I will have CT scan, ultrasound and xrays. Wednesday they will replace the tube in my liver. This is most critical as this has been the place of most of my major infections. Pray I can get through this without an infection. Friday, May 14, I see the oncologist and review the test results and determine the next step of action related to the cancer.

Your prayers mean so much. Thanks. I am here today as a result of the prayers of God's people. Keep it up. I love all of you.

P.S. The picture of Sandy and me is with John and Simone Lake, the pastor of the Church in Pine.

No comments:

Post a Comment