Saturday, January 25, 2014

Don't Be Discouraged #285

I Chronicles 28:2 David rose to his feet and said: “My brothers and my people! It was my desire to build a temple where the Ark of the Lord’s Covenant, God’s footstool, could rest permanently. I made the necessary preparations for building it, 3 but God said to me, ‘You must not build a temple to honor my name, for you are a warrior and have shed much blood.’ 6 He said to me, ‘Your son Solomon will build my Temple and its courtyards, for I have chosen him as my son, and I will be his father. 20 Then David continued, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don’t be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. He will see to it that all the work related to the Temple of the Lord is finished correctly. (NLT)
King David desired more than anything to build a temple for God in order to house the Ark of the Covenant. Because David had been a warring king God brought an end to his dream. David’s son Solomon was chosen to build the Temple instead of David. History tells us of the magnificent structure of the Temple of Solomon. It would have brought joy and fulfillment to any father.
The last instructions that David gave to Solomon are found in verse 20. He encourages him to not be afraid, to be full of courage and promised him that God would be with him until the Temple was finished correctly.
The Bible in the New Testament compares our own lives and bodies to the Temple. 1 Corinthians 6:19 Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. (NLT)
Don’t be discouraged or afraid, God is at work in you also. He will not fail you or forsake you. He will see that all the work related to you is also completed correctly.
_______________________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from beautiful Quartzsite, AZ

No Starbucks here. Closest one is in Blythe, CA over 20 miles away. I still have my coffee though. I bought a pound at my own Starbucks in Tempe and brought it with me. I had a friend trying to look up the Quartzsite Southern Baptist Church on Google Earth and said all he could find was a dirt parking lot. I told him that is all that is in Quartzsite, dirt, dirt and more dirt. We are having a wonderful time in the dirt. The church revival started on Sunday. Dr. David Johnson is the evangelist for the week. Sandy and I have known him since he was a college student. He is currently the Executive Director of the Arizona Southern Baptist Convention. Sandy taught Sunday School on Sunday to the entire church. I am leading the devotions each morning for the church and the Campers on Mission Team. 

Sandy had to return home on Tuesday (planned that way) in order to help with the grandsons. I will be home Friday afternoon or Saturday in order to preach on Sunday at First Baptist of Tempe. 

We are camped in the church parking lot. There are about 15 rigs camping here. We all share breakfast time together at the church fellowship hall and lunch is provided by the church each day as we either are coming from or going to the booths. The booths are tents in the middle of the rock and gem show. We pass out free water (needed this year because it is dry and hot with temperatures near 80 and humidity in the single digits) pray with people, share the gospel, and give away Bibles and literature. I love it. Gives me a chance to talk to lots of people and share Jesus with them. Most people are very open and willing to at least listen. Some are a bit disagreeable but think maybe Jesus Himself had that problem. 

I lost a good friend this week. Actually I didn't lose him I know right where he is. He went to be with Jesus last Friday. His name is Gil Jacquot. We had a great relationship over the years. He was a member of Church on Mill and served as our MOO (Minister of Overheads) as he called himself.  He had a great sense of humor about almost everything. He will be missed by all of us. Pray for Sue, his wife and his children, Jamie and Glenn. 

Sandy continues her Tuesday morning Young Moms Bible study on the Book of Esther. They meet at 9:30AM at First Baptist Church of Tempe. I continue preaching the Intersect Service at First Baptist Church on Sunday mornings at 9:30. Appreciate your prayers and your attendance if possible. 

May God bless you this week with His truth that you are the Temple of God; that God lives in you in His Holy Spirit. (see The Encourager devotional)

Have a blessed week and never forget that "GOD IS GOOD."  ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment