Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Are You A Child Of God? #264


Ephesians 1:1-2                                                                                  1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.                              Romans 8:16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God…                                                                                          1 John 3:1 See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. 

What does your name mean? What is the characteristic that your name implies. Does your name depict a relationship? In the Hebrew Bible names had meaning. The name David for an example meant ‘beloved’.  
The New Testament names also had meaning. The name Peter meant rock. Likely your name has a meaning. Is your name Ryan? The name Ryan is Irish and means “Little King.” God has given all believers a special name. In the Book of Ephesians the Apostle Paul begins by telling you God’s name for you. Your name is Saint, meaning holy one. You might question God’s choice of names for you, or maybe for another believer, but in God’s eyes you are a Saint. Why? It is because you are in Christ. It is God’s designation of a believer in Jesus.

God also signifies your character. He proclaims that you are faithful in Christ Jesus because of God’s grace. You may again question God’s choice of words, but the Bible even tells you in 2 Timothy 2:13 “If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself. ” No doubt there are times when you appear faithless but remember that even in those times God is faithful.
Our name also describes our relationship to God. When Jesus taught His disciples to pray He said to do it in this way, “Our Father Who art in heaven.” Our relationship with God can be described as children of God. He is your heavenly Father. You are His child. As children of God He cares for, loves, protects and even disciplines. What a marvelous concept. YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD! May you rejoice in your name, your character and your relationship with God and may He bless you this very day. 

___________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

What wonderful week. The Northpointe Baptist Church that I have told you about that has been without a pastor; called a new pastor on Sunday. He is a wonderful young man named Matt. I so appreciate your prayers. The Northpointe Church has been very special to me over the last few years, and it was my desire to see them have a great pastor. I think they have found God's man for them. He also has a wonderful wife and two great kids. Pray for Northpointe and Matt and his family. 

Sunday I had the privilege of preaching at Grace Community Church in Tempe. They are a wonderful congregation. I was able to finish two morning services. The church has prayed for me and Sandy for several years. I first spoke there in 2008. At the conclusion of the service on Sunday they brought Sandy and me to the front of the auditorium and the Elders laid hands on us and prayed for our lives and ministry. I thank God for them. 

This past week I saw the oncologist for the first time in four months. The lab work was completed and I ask you to praise God with me. The labs showed all my liver enzyme counts in the NORMAL RANGE!! My liver is functioning well in spite of the fact that one half of it is already dead, and that I still have cancer. I can attest to the fact you can live on one/half of a liver. My left lobe is functioning well after the stent was placed in the bile duct. 

Sandy and I are excited about ministry opportunities that are coming up. She begins her Ladies Bible Study on September 10th at First Baptist Church of Tempe. She is teaching the Book of Ruth. 

I will be preaching at First Baptist Church in the contemporary LOFT service on October 13th and again on November 3rd at 9:30 AM. 

I will be preaching at Second Baptist Church of Lebanon, MO September 29-October 3. The church is only about an hour drive from my home town so I plan to see family while I am there. The pastor, Roger Marshall, was my roommate in college and one of our groomsmen in Sandy and my wedding. He and his wife, Dee Ann, are real special to us. 

Sandy's and my nephew, Casey will be getting married on October 5th in Arkansas. We are planning to attend the wedding. Looking forward to our time with Sandy's brother, Sammy and his wife, Kathy at the wedding. We also will see their daughter and her husband. 

I have been asked to share in a memorial service for a former church member, Betty Tillery. We have known the family for many years. It is good to encourage family and friends at a time like this. 

Mentioning many years ago reminds me that 25 years ago this past Sunday our family began life in Tempe, AZ. It was the first Sunday that I was officially pastor of Church on Mill. The time has flown by in many ways, and in other ways it seems like a lifetime. We have had many wonderful people who have been a part of our lives and ministry here in Tempe. We are grateful to God for such great memories. We have also shared in our struggles. But I am reminded of the faithfulness of God. His grace truly is sufficient. I Praise Him for His love, grace, mercy and strength He has provided for me and Sandy. 

We will celebrate our 47th anniversary on September 4th. I wouldn't trade that love relationship for anything. God has seen fit to bless us with three wonderful children, a daughter-in-law and son-in-law and 5 super grandsons. We have had the privilege of ministering to and with some marvelous people during our many years of marriage. GOD IS GOOD!!

I hope you will continue to praise God with us.  ~ DGW


No comments:

Post a Comment