Wednesday, December 28, 2011

With My Whole Heart #178

Psalms 103:1-5
1 Let all that I am praise the Lord;
with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name.
2 Let all that I am praise the Lord;
may I never forget the good things he does for me.
3 He forgives all my sins
and heals all my diseases.
4 He redeems me from death
and crowns me with love and tender mercies.
5 He fills my life with good things.
My youth is renewed like the eagle's!

David, the Psalmist wrote this Psalm in his later years. He was deeply moved with the thought of all that God had done for him. He uses the word, Lord, the personal name of God. He does so with much endearment.

Have you ever stopped to reflect on all the Lord has done for you? David did; so he had a little talk with himself. His words are spoken to his inner being. His whole heart is a translation of the word for soul. He reminds his own soul, his whole heart, to praise the Lord. He tells his own heart to never forget what the Lord has done.

David then remembers his own sin and the need he has for forgiveness. David was called a man after God's own heart and yet he sinned deeply. He lied, committed adultery and murder. Needless to say as he reflected on his own sin and his forgiveness, he had a reason to praise the Lord. His mind also went to the great healing power of God and again praises the Lord.

David then with his eyes on the future remembers the promises of eternal life. His life would not be over when he closed his eyes in death. There was a future life to anticipate because he had been redeemed. He quickly reminds himself that is only possible because of the love and mercy of God. He was not worthy, but God is a God of forgiveness.

He is rejuvenated and feels his youth return to his thoughts. No wonder he could say to himself, "Praise the Lord". Have you praised the Lord today? I am sure if you reflected on your life you would realize that the mercy and grace of God have sustained and guided you during this past year and you would have no reason except to PRAISE THE LORD.

__________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

I do hope you had a great Christmas. I especially hope the New Year brings hope, joy and love to your life. It is hard for me to comprehend that we are on the doorstep of
2012. Remember Y2K? Everything was supposed to come apart and we were in for major changes in life because of computers. Well, Y2K did not turn out as was expected. We probably have more to be concerned about now with "hackers." Oh well, something needs our worries.

I am sure as the year ends you will find something to worry about. I like to think we can also find something to praise God for right now. Search your life and your heart and then practice a little praise. You may actually have to do (as the devotional today says) talk a bit to yourself.

Our family is about finished with birthdays and Christmas and after Saturday night 2011. I am sure you, as I have, had some ups and downs this past year. I can only pray that things in your life will be surrounded by the love and mercy of God. Collin turned 11 on the 28th. He is tall for his age. (5' 1") He loves school and playing video games. He went to Starbucks with me on his birthday
and the entire Starbucks staff and customers sang Happy Birthday to him. Think he was a little embarrassed.

Sandy and I continue our teaching ministry at FBC of Tempe. She begins the Reflections class on Tuesday January 3rd at 9 AM. It will continue until April 17. I will be preaching Sunday (Jan 1) at FBC Tempe at 9:30 AM Intersect Service and at the evening service at 6PM on January 15th, and again on March 4th at the the 9:30 AM Intersect Service.

We leave for Quartzsite, AZ and the ministry during the Gem and Rock Show on January 18th and finish on January 28th. We will be teaching the devotional time each morning and Sandy will be teaching Sunday School to the entire church and all of the Campers on Mission Team. It is one of the highlights of our year. Pray for our
preparation and for the Word to be received with accompanied action.

This has been a good year for our ministry. We so appreciate your prayers,
encouragement, support and concerns. You are wonderful.

May God bless you throughout this New Year.

"May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:25

~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment