Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Are you facing the Lions? #173

Daniel 6:10 But when Daniel learned that the law had been signed he went home and knelt down as usual in his upstairs room, with its windows open toward Jerusalem. He prayed three times a day, just as he had always done, giving thanks to his God. (NLT)

Philippians 4:6 Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. (NLT)

Daniel found himself between the proverbial rock and a hard place. The administrators, officials, high officers, advisers, and governors told King Darius, king of the Medes and the Persians, that the king should make a law that will be strictly enforced. The orders said that for the next thirty days any person who prays to anyone, divine or human - except to Darius, will be thrown into the den of lions. Daniel of course could not follow that law. He knew that if he did not follow the law the result would conclude with him becoming lion food.

Daniel did his usual thing; he prayed. He went to his room with its windows open toward Jerusalem and prayed. His normal custom was to pray to the Lord three times a day. This day with a den of lions awaiting he still prayed. HE GAVE THANKS. What a time to give thanks. Circumstances say he should be praying for rescue, intervention, and protection Instead he gave thanks to God.

What are you facing today that feels like a hungry lion is lying in wait to attack you? What is your response? Is it giving thanks in all circumstances? Is it a choice to not worry? Is it your choice to pray about everything?

When you experience life's difficulties it would be easy to complain, worry, fret and give up. God's encouragement to you is to give thanks in all things. How can you do that? You can pray and give thanks because no matter what you are facing you know that you are in Christ. The Bible does not say, "Give thanks FOR all things, but IN all things. God loves you and cares about everything you face. Give thanks IN things.

________________Today's personal note from Dennis

Greetings from Starbucks in beautiful Tempe, AZ

Happy Thanksgiving!!
We all have so much to be thankful for that it is hard to even think of mentioning them all.
  • I am so thankful for my Lord Jesus. He is not only my Savior and Lord, He is my very Life. He said in his own words that He came to give us life and life more abundantly. I believe that and am so grateful.
  • I am thankful for my family, my children, my son-in-law and daughter-in-law, my grandchildren, and my Dad. And of course all my extended family.
  • I am also so very thankful for my wonderful wife, Sandy. She has been my love, my encourager, my support, my joy for over 45 years now. How thankful I am that God has allowed us such a wonderful life together.
  • I am thankful for friends all over this planet. God has allowed me to meet people from all over the USA and around the world. It is such a blessing for which I am very thankful to have had the opportunity to know these special friends.
  • I am thankful for the material blessings from God. He has richly blessed my life.
This past week Sandy and I had lunch with one of the Doctors who cared for me when I was at my most critical point. It was so good to meet with him and his medical assistant as friends. They are special people. I am thankful for them.

We are having our family over for Thanksgiving dinner. I am thankful we all can be together. What a blessing!

I do hope and pray you have a wonderful time celebrating God's blessings and thanking Him in all things. It would be so great if I could see all of you during the holiday season. Quite impossible, except in my thoughts. You are special and I thank God for you.

God bless you and all yours. ~ DGW

No comments:

Post a Comment