Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I, MY, ME! #155

Isaiah 10:12-16

12 When the Lord has finished all his work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, he will say, "I will punish the king of Assyria for the willful pride of his heart and the haughty look in his eyes. 13 For he says: " 'By the strength of my hand I have done this, and by my wisdom, because I have understanding. I removed the boundaries of nations, I plundered their treasures; like a mighty one I subdued their kings. 14 As one reaches into a nest, so my hand reached for the wealth of the nations; as men gather abandoned eggs, so I gathered all the countries; not one flapped a wing, or opened its mouth to chirp.' " 15 Does the ax raise itself above him who swings it, or the saw boast against him who uses it? As if a rod were to wield him who lifts it up, or a club brandish him who is not wood! 16 Therefore, the Lord, the LORD Almighty, will send a wasting disease upon his sturdy warriors; under his pomp a fire will be kindled like a blazing flame.


What does God think about pride, arrogance, and haughtiness? It is fairly obvious from the Bible that He is strongly opposed to that type of attitude. James 4:6 “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”


The King of Assyria was being used of God to punish Zion and Jerusalem. He then promises the King that he will also be punished because of his pride and arrogance. The characteristic of an arrogant, prideful person is the use of the pronouns “I and my or me.” The King uses the pronoun nine times in three sentences. He declares that he has accomplished everything by his own strength. Someone has said, “I was conceited until I found out I was better than I thought I was.” That was the king’s evaluation of himself.


Therefore God will bring judgment against him. God is the one who works in our lives to accomplish the works He desires. The ax does not raise itself against the one who swings it simply means that we are instruments in God’s hand, not the other way around. Everything you accomplish can be attributed to God and others. Humility, the opposite of pride, gives credit where credit is due.


1 Peter 5:6 "God will deal in judgment on an arrogant and prideful life." Give God glory in all things and humble yourself. He will reward your attitude.


_____________________Today's personal note from Dennis


Greetings from HOT AZ!


As most of you in the rest of the country experience the wonderful weather we have here in AZ from June to October I say, "Welcome to Summer."
We have already hit 118 this year with over 10 days over 110. It is great to welcome the rest of you to our world.
Sure, you say it is a dry heat. So is an oven.

Sandy and I have been busy taking care of Johnny the past couple of weeks. With Mandy back at work and John trying to work from home they have needed
some help. Johnny is using his helmet to correct the toaster head and is not at all pleased with it. It is uncomfortable, but very necessary. He cries a lot when he is wearing
it, which is several hours a day. Pray for him and for the patience of the care givers.

Sandy, Collin and I leave next Tuesday for a week in South Dakota. I will be preaching at Community Bible Church in Pierre on July 31st. Looking forward to seeing the folks there.
We will spend time with the Jones family.

Saturday July 23 I will be preaching a funeral for the father of a friend I have met in a men's Bible Study at Grace Community Church. Pray for the service.
T
here will be many
non-believers at the service. We plan on giving an altar call. Pray for God to work in people's lives.

God continues to provide good health for me and Sandy. We praise him that we can continue to serve him.

Thank you for your prayers and support. You are loved. ~ DGW



No comments:

Post a Comment